Comprehensive Blow-by-Blow Better-Than-Mediocre Directions:
Install, Organize, and Trick Out Your ePort with Rad Basics
Remember that if you don’t want to work on the open web, you can stay in Moodle. Let’s talk about it if you’re concerned! Remember that you have a choice about your ePort as well: you can work under your own name/identity, or you can choose a pseudonym and work more anonymously. It depends on what you want to do with your digital footprint, so please think it through, talk with me, and remember our readings before you plunge ahead!
These directions will help you set up an ePort with a blog and a bio page. They will also help you add your Twitter timeline to your ePort and license your ePort with a Creative Commons license if you so choose.
Before creating your domain, you’ll need to choose a domain name. There are a few things to consider:
Choose a Domain You Can Live With! You should choose a domain name that you feel you can live with for quite some time. You should pick something that you won’t find embarrassing in the future. A good rule of thumb is to pick a domain that you would be comfortable putting on a future job application. There is no requirement that your domain reflect your real identity in the form of your first and last name. However, choosing a domain name that includes your name may make it easier for you to achieve higher rankings in search engines when someone queries your real name. At the end of the day, your domain should reflect you. Pick a domain you like and are proud of. The “right” domain for you is the one you’re comfortable with.
- Go to www.PlymouthCreate.net
- Click “Get Started”
- STOP! Instead of entering your email and password, click “Login with Shibboleth”
- Enter your PSU Username and password
- Enter the domain name of your choice, and you can only do this once, so choose wisely!
- On the Review page, ensure your contact information and domain are correct, then click “Sign Up\
- You will be brought to the C panel (control panel)
Ok, now let’s build this thing!
- Click on WordPress
- Click on Install this application
- Scroll down and change your administrator username and password to whatever you want
- Change “My Blog” to “My ePort”
- Click Install
- Click link in middle (with wp-admin in URL) and then bookmark that—this is your editing page for your website!
- Hover over +New and go to “Page” to add a new Page.
- Title it “Blog” (and Publish it)
- Go to Appearance — customize
- Choose “Static Front Page” and choose “Static Front Page.”
- Then set them this way:
- Front page: About; Posts page: Blog
- Save & Publish
- Choose the back arrow there.
- Go to Menus
- ADD a Menu, call it “Main,” and click “Create Menu”
- Choose “Primary menu”
- And add items: Blog, About (drag “About” so it is on top)
- Save & Publish
Now let’s Twitterfy this domain!
- Open your Twitter in another tab
- Go to your profile by clicking on your name and then copy that URL
- Now click on your picture in the top right and select “Settings”
- Choose “Widgets”
- Create new
- Select Profile
- Paste in your URL and click the arrow
- Choose “Embedded Timeline”
- Copy the code
- Go back to your ePort
- Click on Appearance—Widgets
- Select Text
- Primary Sidebar and add widget
- Paste in the code in the content box and save
Now let’s get a license for you!
- Open a new tab and go to Creative Commons: Choose a License
- Fill out the buttons as you wish
- Copy the code at the bottom
- Go back to your ePort
- Go to the “Edit” screen on your About page
- Click on the little “Text” tab next to “Visual” at the right side of the box to get to the coding screen
- Now click to the bottom of the text that’s there and paste in your code, and update
Check out your new ePort! Go home and play around with themes, header images, and other fun stuff. Remember that PAGES are stable spaces that we add to your menu. Most of the class assignments we do will be new POSTS, which will automatically go on your blog page.
Break it—we can always fix it!
Have fun! I wish you many happy years of creativity and autonomy at your new domain!
Need help? Tweet!
@actualham for me
@PlymouthIDS for Interdisciplinary Studies
#PlymouthIDS for your classmates
Need more help?
Contact the PSU HelpDesk in Lamson Library at (603) 535-2929 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.